Mini muffins! Perfect for mini hands.
In case you were wondering, Alice is still a particular eater. Like I imagine most kids are at her age, she has days where she'll try all sorts of new things. And then she has days where all she'll eat is dry cereal and a banana. Oh, and macaroni-and-cheese. She will always eat macaroni-and-cheese.
Hey. At least it's organic!
So when my sister was in town over the weekend she mentioned she'd recently made some delicious muffins she thought Alice might like. And winner! They have carrots in them. Since my sister has a gluten sensitivity, these muffins are also gluten-free and paleo-friendly. Here's how you make them:
Carrot + Apple Muffins (makes 24-ish mini muffins)
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbs cinnamon (I used pumpkin pie spice!)
- 3 ripe bananas
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup dates, pitted
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 3/4 cup apples, shredded
- 3/4 cup walnuts, finely chopped (didn't have any so I left them out)
- Preheat oven to 350F. In a small bowl, mix together the almond flour, flax, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. In the food processor, combine the bananas, dates, eggs, vinegar and coconut oil and pulse, stopping once or twice to scrap down the sides.
- Pour the wet ingredients into a large mixing bowl and then slowly incorporate the dry ingredients, being careful not to over-mix. Fold in the carrots, apples, and walnuts (if using).
- Spoon the mixture into muffin tins lined with paper liners (I tried making a few without... bad idea). Bake for 25 minutes, rotating the pan once halfway through.
- Let cool (or don't!) and enjoy.
I've made similar muffins in the past with regular flour and these ones are way tastier. The almond flour gives them a rich and almost buttery flavor! I made 24 mini muffins and they are so good that we've already eaten 10 between the three of us.
And that's exactly why I work out the way that I do.
Weekly workouts: Monday - Run! 5.2 miles/48 minutes pushing Alice up behind the Capitol and down City Creek. Tuesday - CrossFit: Find a 2-rep max for strict shoulder press (83lbs), then max effort handstand push-ups (14 with 2 ab mats). Then rep scheme of 10-9-8-7...2-1 of pull-ups (red + blue), dips (red), and burpees. Wednesday - Mtn bike ride! 9.8 miles/73 minutes, backside of City Creek. Thursday - Rest day! Friday - CrossFit: 20 reps of chest press @ 80% in as few sets as possible (73lbs, 2 sets of 10) + bent over row 3 sets of 10 (33lbs), then 3 rounds of 400-meter run, 20 chest-to-bars (goddamn green band), 40 hands-release push-ups (knees). I was the only girl and the first finished. But I scaled a ton.