As a stay-at-home mom, I don't often have a chance to get creative with my make-up as trips to the park with a fully done-up face can look a little silly. So on those special nights when Lee and I do go out, I like to change up my usual make-up routine for something more dramatic (this look goes especially well with green or blue eyes).
- On a clean and moisturized face, apply a lightweight and luminous foundation and a pop of color to the apples of your cheeks (see my favorites here). Brush and then fill in your eyebrows with a pencil one shade darker than your hair color.
- Put a small amount of the Laura Mercier Creme Eye Shadow in Burnished Copper on the pointer finger of your left hand (if you are right-handed) and then, using the pointer finger of your right hand, dab a bit of color onto the middle of your lid, blending so that the color covers all of your lid and just slightly above the area that shows when your eyes are open.
- With a broad-tipped eye shadow brush, take the darkest color (#1) from the Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick in Bronze and apply it in the crease and then down towards the outer part of your eye, in a C shape. Clean off your brush and then take a mixture of the burgundy and copper colors (#2) and apply them to the inside of the "C" (directly above your pupils) and towards the inner part of your eye. With your finger, take the shimmery white color (#3) and apply it directly under the arch of your brows and just a tiny bit in the inside corners of your eyes, near your tear duct.
- Here's the tricky part: The cat-eye liner look. Using a stiff angle brush, dip the tip into the MAC Black Track Fluidline liner, wiping off the excess on the back of your hand. Starting at the outer edge of your eye, line the wedge of the brush slightly higher and just barely outside of your lash line and then, with a steady hand, bring it down thinly and as close to the lash line as possible and then into the inner corner of your eye. Phew. You did it.
- Take a copper-colored eyeliner and line the inside rim of your eye and just underneath your lower lashes. Clean off the angle brush and then use the darkest color in the Shimmer Brick under the lower lashes to soften the liner and to give your eyes that smokey look.
- Put on a few coats of a lash-lengthening mascara and a nude or light pink lip gloss and you're ready for date night.
An iPhone selfie before our date night to the Beer & Ballet.