C'mon Mom. Push it. Push it!
When you have a baby, it can be reeeeeeally tough to find time to exercise. In the early days of Alice's life I was convinced that I would never be able to leave the house again let alone ever get a workout in. I mean, between feeding her every two hours or less and being a sleep-deprived zombie myself, I figured my days of being fit were most definitely over. And then the newborn fog lifted and we found our groove. Here are some tips I've used to help fit in workouts while caring for a new baby:
- Break it up! You don't need to have a solid chunk of time to do a work out. If you know your baby will be happy and content to sit in a bouncy chair or on a blanket for 15 minutes while you squeeze in some backwards lunges or a few wall squats or a minute or two of walking planks, then do it! And then later when you have another 15 minutes or so, do a bit more. At the end of the day, it all adds up to a pretty decent work out.
- Work out while baby sleeps! This one is a bit obvious but rather than doing laundry or washing dishes, take 30 or so minutes for yourself and do some living room yoga or this awesome Pure Barre DVD. Your baby will wake up to a very happy and a very fit Mommy.
- Make Dad (or whomever) babysit! When my husband gets home from work or on the weekends, he is happy to watch Alice so that I can go for a run or do yoga totally uninterrupted. He knows how exercise and running are closely tied to my mental health!
- Work out after baby goes to bed for the night! This one is tough since I am usually exhausted bt the end of the day but sometimes a little Nike Training Club or some living room yoga is just what I need to end my day.
- Take baby with you! Alice loves to get outdoors for some fresh air so, after her morning snack, we often head out in the jogging stroller for a quick run. If Alice isn't feeling the stroller that day, I'll load her up in the baby carrier and we'll head out for a power walk. Alice usually snoozes and I feel amazing by the time we get home.
(Non) Garmin stats: Yesterday = NTC workout. Sculpted Arms and Shaped Back. My arms feel like jelly. And Alice came to the hotel gym with me and watched while Mommy worked out! Today = A six hour plane ride means no workout for me.