Monday, March 10, 2014


Morning cereal & a FaceTime date with Grandpa Glen and Grandma Coco.

Our weekend with Tia Amanda is over and, with her gone, our loft feels so quiet. My sister has an energy to her that is infectious and Alice was so happy to have her auntie here again to play and sing and laugh with her. If Amanda left Alice's side even for a second, Alice would start yelling, "Tia Amanda! Tia Amanda! Come back!"

Alice's obsession with her auntie gave me a nice break (thanks for that, my beautiful sister).

On Saturday we spent the day visiting our 86-year old grandma while Lee stayed home to ready our newly tiled bathroom for painting (I can't wait to show you how it turned out!). Our grandma is mostly wheelchair-bound so our day there was spent catching up with the goings-on of family members while Alice ran around in her house and backyard.

As I'm sure is the case with most grandparents houses, my grandma has a ridiculous amount of candies and cookies and sodas and chips and basically a whole mess of stuff that I can't eat as I near the end of my Whole30. Usually, though, I am elbow-deep in the chocolate-covered macadamia nut clusters or stuffing my mouth full of salty potato chips all while washing it down with a Dr. Pepper (practicing moderation in the face of so many snacks has always been challenging for me). Having eaten this way for as long as I can remember when at my grandma's, I felt the pull to fall back into those usual habits as we visited her this weekend. I instantly felt snacky as we stood talking in her kitchen despite not even being hungry.

Fortunately I'm near the end of my Whole30, though, and my desire to finish these 30 days without any cheats or slips is stronger than the urge to eat those currently no-listed foods. So I abstained! And we brought the makings for a delicious Whole30-approved salad so that I didn't have to starve in a house full of processed food.

What is it about elderly people and processed foods?!

After breakfast on Sunday, I went for my weekly long trail run while Alice, Amanda, and Lee went for a walk in downtown. It was warm and sunny and gorgeous out on the trail! I was having such a wonderful time... until I fell.


As seems to be the case every year, I tend to fall at least once during the trail running season. But yesterday I fell twice! The first fall wasn't so bad, although I did land chest-first into a puddle of mud. The second fall was much more traumatic as after I tripped and was airborne for a second or two, I rolled into a ditch. After I assessed the damage, I got up, brushed myself off and was immediately thankful for two things. One: No one saw my very ungraceful fall. And two: I rolled into a ditch rather than off the mountain, which would've happened had I gone off the other side of the trail.

My hand is swollen and my knees are skinned but hopefully those will be my only falls for the season.

How was your weekend?

Weekend Workouts: Saturday - Rest day! Sunday - Trail run! 14 miles/2:24/2,038 ft elev gain/2 falls.

Sunday evening sidewalk chalk with this goofball on our street.


  1. I'm so glad you had a wonderful weekend... even when you fell down on your run. You created such fun memories for Alice spending time with her tia Amanda. I'm sure she will miss her. I'm also glad you spent the day with Great Grandma. Great Grandma loves you 'her first granddaughter' and Alice 'her first great granddaughter'. xo

  2. Alice looks way too grown up! :(

    I hear ya on sweets. I don't have any grandparents living anymore, but my Nana always had junk. Now I fight the German Omas trying to give Nolan Haribo bears ;)


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...