I don't think I am necessarily nesting but I have had an increased desire to cook and bake and chop over the last few days. Since there isn't much else for me to do till she gets here, I am just going with it. Yesterday I made this granola and those delicious oatmeal chocolate chip cookies and our apartment smelled divine... until I made those purple lovelies photographed above. That, my friends, is roasted cabbage with Gorgonzola. Pungent, to say the least, but delicious, nonetheless. If you're a fan of smelly cheese, then you'll love this. Here's the recipe.
Roasted Cabbage with Gorgonzola:
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Wash and cut a red cabbage into 1/2 inch-thick slices
- Brush both sides of cabbage with olive oil
- Roast in oven for 20 to 30 minutes, or until edges turn crispy and golden brown
- Remove from oven and top with crumbled Gorgonzola (and eat a bite or two of cheese while doing this)
- Roast for another 5 minutes or until cheese is brown and bubbly
- Top with a bit of salt and cracked black pepper. Enjoy. Share if you must.
And then today, I made this. Almond coconut butter (recipe found here). Yum. And I had an epiphany. I will never buy store-bought peanut or nut butter again. It is SO EASY to make your own. And probably cheaper, too (I pay $6.50 for a puny 16 oz jar from Whole Foods!). Here you go.
Almond Coconut Butter:
- 2 cups roasted, unsalted almonds
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 tsp salt
What have you made lately that shocked you at how easy it was to make? Maybe I am just way slow but I didn't realize just how easy it is to make nut butters from scratch. Amazing!
The almond coconut butter looks so delicious! I love coconut so! I have to try it! You are probably so anxious to meet your baby, right? I Know the feeling! Wish you a good deliver!!!ReplyDelete
Cooked cabbage always smells like stinky toes! But if you can get past the smell, it tastes great. We're going to a St Pats party tonight, of course, they are serving Corned Beef and Cabbage. I'll be telling them about your roasted cabbage! xo MomReplyDelete