I had a hankering last night for something very specific: chicken, broccoli, cheese and rice. I used my trusty Whole Foods recipe-finding app and typed in those ingredients but nothing came up. So I removed the cheese ingredient and, lo and behold, a recipe was found. But it didn't sound all that appealing. And the reviews of it weren't all that stellar, either. My craving wasn't going away so I modified it. And then I typed it up for your enjoyment. I'm nice like that.
Cheesy Chicken & Rice with Broccoli (serves 4... unless you are us, serves 2):
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 and 3/4 cups broth (I used low-sodium chicken broth)
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup cheese (I used sharp cheddar)
- 1 tbs lemon juice (totally optional)
- Salt & pepper to taste
Such a delicious dish. And so easy! I served ours with a spinach salad with sliced carrots and this delicious no-guilt caesar dressing. We both went back for seconds, hence the reason the main course only served the two of us. Funny how that works.