In staying with the recent cooking theme I've been on lately, I made a delicious squash dish again last night. This time? Acorn squash. Of course I saw this recipe on another blog and just had to try it. I coerced my husband into having it with dinner by tempting him with a delectable steak. Here it goes:
Roasted Acorn Squash with Browned Sage Butter:
- Heat oven to 450F
- Cut squash into 'flowers,' 1/2 inch thick
- Remove innards
- Brush tops and bottoms with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Place squash on parchment-lined baking sheet
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until tender with a fork (the original recipe said to bake for 30-40 min but I found that to be waaaay too long)
- Put a few tablespoons of butter into a small saucepan over medium-high heat
- Whisk continuously until the butter starts to bubble and brown, about 2-3 minutes
- Add dried sage and whisk for 1 more minute
- Drizzle over squash and then lick your plate clean
Not much going on at our house today. Chores. Workouts. Errands. I did go to the garden store to buy a few little replacement plants for the two that had died in my terrariums. I don't know if I didn't give them enough water (or too much) or enough sunlight... but the fern and the little spider-looking plant I put in originally just did not like living in my terrarium. Hopefully these two new guys will be a bit hardier.
Do you have a 'green thumb' or do you tend to kill plants? I can grow a mean philodendron but they are basically impossible to kill. For some reason, container gardens are not my strong suit. Maybe I need a big garden for my green thumb talents to really shine!
Remember those pumpkin cookies with cream cheese frosting I made yesterday? So good. But 22 big-sized cookies is just too much for two people so I am taking the remaining 12 cookies to work tomorrow. Happy Halloween, coworkers!
That squash looks delicious - and so very pretty! Tomorrow I'm roasting my first ever pumpkin for pumpkin kale lasagna later this week - I'm excited! Next week acorn squash will have to go on the list :)ReplyDelete
I know what you mean about killing plants! Everyone makes it seem so simple - a little sunlight, a little water, maybe sing to them if you're an overachiever... if only it were that fool-proof!